With a grill, a special device for open fire roasting, delicious types of meat (steaks, poultry, fish) or vegetables may be cooked. Besides, it allows cooking without fat and oil or reducing their usage. You may simmer, boil and even smoke-dry the food. Due to high temperature, the fat which food contains is melted, and the pores quickly close. It results in soft, juicy meat. A crisp crust is a bonus to the dish. Excess fat is removed, and this makes a grilled dish healthier than usual roasting or frying. Nutritionists also admit this fact.
What is the Difference between Tru-Infrared Cooking Grill and a Regular Grill?
A conventional grill and an infrared grill differ in heat emitting. In a traditional device, the heat is emitted from the burner, goes directly to the product and is distributed unevenly. It may result in “overdrying” the product or its parts. The way of its functioning is limitation of food and hot air contact. A special plate, usually made of ceramics, is placed between product and a burner. After it is heated up, it starts emitting radiation. Infrared radiation evenly penetrates into the product and sears it. The food retains its juice and acquires an unsurpassed taste.
Quick Summary. TOP-8 Best Infrared Grills
- Char-Broil Patio Bistro 240B – Barbecue Grill with TRU-Infrared™, – Best Picnic Infrared Gas Grill
- Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared 450 3-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill, – Best Rated Infrared Gas Grill
- Royal Gourmet Mirage MG6001-R 6-Burner Infrared Burner Gas Grill, – Best Infrared Gas Grill for Professional Use
- Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere Portable Infrared Gas Grill, – Best Portable Infrared Gas Grill
- Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Kettleman Charcoal Grill, – Best Infrared Charcoal Grill
- Char-Broil 17602047 Infrared Electric Patio Bistro, – Best Outdoor Infrared Electric Grill
- Philips HD6370/91 Smokeless Indoor Grill, – Best Infrared Electric Grill. Editor’s Choice
- Kushi Infrared Smokeless Indoor Grill, Kebab and Yakitori, – Best Budget Saving Infrared Electric Grill
Infrared Grills Compared
|Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro|
Best for picnic
|Cooking area: 20 sq inches|
For 8-12 burgers
|Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared 450|
Best Rated Big Infrared Gas Grill
|Cooking area: 450 sq inches|
|Royal Gourmet Mirage MG6001|
Best for Professional Use
|Grilling area: 700 sq inches|
Secondary cooking area 260 sq inches
Best Portable Infrared Gas Grill
|Cooking space: 140 sq inches|
|Char-Broil Kettleman Charcoal Grill|
Most Affordable and Best Infrared Charcoal Grill
|Cooking area: 360 sq inches|
|Char-Broil 17602047 Infrared Electric|
Best Value Outdoor Infrared Electric Grill
|Grilling area: 240 sq inches|
|Philips Smoke-less Indoor BBQ Electric Grill|
Editor’s Choice. Best Infrared Electric Grill
|Kushi Infrared Smokeless|
Good Cheap Infrared Electric Grill
What is Working Principle of Infrared Gas Grill?
The burner which emits gas, provides less heat (makes lower temperature) by infrared radiation. Due to this factor, gas grills historically concede in comparison with those ones, which work with charcoal. Infrared radiation is extremely important when cooking food on the open fire. It makes a beautiful crisp crust on the product.
To bring the thermal regime of gas grills closer to the charcoal grills, a simple solution was found. There should be a special screen placed between the burner and the product. This screen converts high temperature emitted by a burner into infrared radiation.
A simple gas grill with only one additional element, a ceramic or metal tile between the burner and the grate is called now “an infrared grill”. All these tricky names like “Tru-Infrared”, “Sizzle-Zone” and so on are nothing more than different marketing names of the same technology for specific brands.
Moreover, screens now are applied almost to all grills. This means that all gas, charcoal or electric grills may be called “infrared” now.
Infrared Grills Review
Best Infrared Gas Grill
Char-Broil Patio Bistro Review
Picnic with your friends is a perfect way for spending your free time or holidays. Char-Broil Patio Bistro may prepare any grilled dish during some party or a hangout. There are many advantages and unique features to conquer your heart by this device. Tru-Infrared technology helps to cook meat with both crisp crust keeping soft juicy meat inside, and even bake or steam it. A grill provides necessary temperature to keep the ready dish warm as well. In case you prefer wooden or smoked flavor of the prepared food, just add a chip of wood to stainless steel grate.
This unit is intended for outdoor usage, its output is 13,000 BTU, but its dimensions are quite compact and may be fitted in small yards and patios. Design is stylish and convenient. Cooking area (320 sq. inches), wheels for moving around, towel bar availability are main features of this unit.
- Big area for food preparation including primary and secondary cooking area
- Wheels for transportation
- Stylish compact design
- Easy ignition with electronic control
- Temperature adjustment and control
- Various dishes may be cooked
- On the expensive side
Char-Broil Performance Review
Char-Broil 450 grill meets your needs in cooking healthy and tasty food. It is equipped with Tru-Infrared tech for better result of grilling. Its capacity is impressing though it belongs to mid-sized grills. The device has 600 sq. inch grill primary and secondary surface to cook around 6 portions of big steaks within the same time period. A function of warm food preservation maintains the temperature of the cooked dish. Porcelain cooking surfaces are a grate and a rack, they make the unit durable and allow easy cleaning. There are top-ported burners, a burner that is placed aside, a temperature indicator, electronic ignition.
- Up to 6 big portions may be cooked at once
- Durable and easy cleaning cooking surfaces
- Warm food preservation
- Needs much storage and operation space
Royal Gourmet Mirage MG6001 Review
Mirage MG6001-R is an impressive and high-quality infrared grill providing almost professional cooking. Its main feature is a split lid, which allows cooking during a big party and for just few people. This is good for saving money while using the grill often. This unit boasts impressive 96,000 BTU output. Its total cooking area is 961 sq. inches. The device also has warming surface, additional side burner in pots and saucepans, hooks and storage space, cast iron grates with porcelain finish which are easy to clean. Materials of a grill (cast aluminum, stainless steel) are durable and sturdy. Electronic ignition and temperature gauge are included. The unit is easy to transport as it is supplied with wheels.
- Provides almost professional cooking functions
- Various dishes may be cooked
- Impressive output
- Easy to clean construction
- Simple operation and maintenance
- Low affordability
- Assembling may not be easy
Solaire SOL Review
Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere is a smart grill. It may organize a tasty treat everywhere including small patio, camping, or a private balcony. It has compact dimensions though its capacity is impressive, as it boasts of 14,000 BTU. The surface for cooking is 140 sq. inches. A stainless steel grate is able to place around 6 burgers. Other peculiarities of the device are its compatibility with various gas supply tanks (a special adaptor in not included), V-design grate (return the flavor of cooked food back), easy ignition and operation.
- Compact and efficient design allows using it everywhere
- Various gas supply methods
- Easy operation and maintenance
- Quick cleaning after exploitation
- Adapters and a hose for gas supply change should be ordered additionally
- A user should mount handles
Best Infrared Charcoal Grill
Char-Broil Kettleman Review
Kettleman Charcoal combines both easiness of infrared grill operation and traditional flavor of grilled dishes. You are sure to like this device for pleasant and tasty outing. This unit is compact and handy. It has a round shape and a big surface for food preparing (360 sq. inches), a grate made of rust-resistant metal coated with porcelain, a hinged lid with thermometer and a vent to regulate air circulation, 2 wheels in the bottom for easy moving and a shelf for storage and sturdiness of the construction, easy ashes removal. Your steak will be juicy and will have a crispy crust because Tru-Infrared in included.
- The dishes have smoky and pleasant flavor
- Compactness, suitable for small patios
- Temperature and air flow adjustment
- Comparing to gas infrared grills, the grates cleaning may be more difficult
- The ignition is more time-consuming than in gas ones
Best Infrared Electric Grill
Char-Broil Infrared Electric Patio Bistro Review
With this 17602047 Char-Broil you may prepare your dishes quickly and without efforts. The device has compact dimensions and a stylish design; it may be easily relocated to any yard or patio with its 2 wheels. A cast iron grate is finished with porcelain. It is simple to get it clean. Controls may adjust temperature. Any other operations are simple. A place for cooking makes 240 sq. inches (enough for 8-12 burgers) and an additional rack for food warming is available. There are 2 shelves for preparing and storage. Heating of the grate is even, higher temperature makes cooking quick and easy due to its Tru-Infrared feature.
- Extremely effortless operation
- Easy to clean
- Much storage and cooking space
- Easy moving around
- Not much real grilled flavor
Philips Smokeless Indoor Grill Review
HD6370/91 from Philips seems to be too simple, but it performs its grill function at highest level of quality. You may use is in a small yard as well as inside of your apartment. It may look very harmonically with your other countertop appliances in the kitchen. Its innovative technologies (side placements of burners, clear deflectors, and grate energy direction) allow achieving less smoke, which is good for home use. There are 2 temperature variants – one for cooking (446° F) and one for warming. Easy cleaning is due to removable grates and drip pan, which are dish washable. The device is reducing smoke by 80% and you may reach a perfect result in your kitchen without bad smell.
- Small size allows countertop placement
- Easy operation
- Easy cleaning
- 80% fat smell and smoke reduce
- No temperature adjustment
- Not on the cheap side
Kushi Infrared Smokeless Indoor Grill Review
Kushi Infrared Smokeless grill is an efficient and compact device for indoor usage in the kitchen on tabletop, in garage or in your balcony. Due to its characteristics, it may successfully cook tasty yakitori, kebab or any other grilled dish. It starts preparing food after 1 minute warming up reaching 480°F temperature. Distinctive features are special infrared reflectors, easy to clean grease collector, special niches for kebab skewers. The unit is smokeless, and cooked food is tasty, juicy and caramelized. Detachable parts are dish washable.
- A budget saving model
- Smokeless grilling
- Compact design, may be placed on table top or counter
- Cleaning may be difficult
Infrared Grill Benefits
The indisputable advantages of this device include:
- Dripping fat protection. Due to the even heat distribution, dripping fat does not ignite above the burner, which makes cooking safe and comfortable.
- Even heat. In conventional grills, the grate heating is uneven. It results in burnt in the center and uncooked on the edges meat. Due to a patented screen of the infrared equipment, the temperature is distributed smoothly, dishes may be successfully cooked in all parts of a grate.
- Fuel economy and high cooking speed. It does not heat air, it allows spending 30% less fuel comparing to a conventional grill. Besides, it works faster, and a grilled dish is prepared quicker.
- Minimization of personal control. Even heat distribution eliminates the risk of burning products. Constant monitoring by a person is not needed.
- Various products. You may cook almost any dish on the infrared grill. Of course, meat and fish steaks are most common, as well as burgers and poultry. One can roast, simmer, boil and even smoke-dry products with this device. Moreover, the process of smoking-dry itself is extremely simple. Just put wooden chips on the grill grate.
How to Clean Infrared Grill
The maintenance of the equipment is quite simple due to removable design of infrared screens and grates. It is recommended to clean thoroughly a grill every time the cooking is finished. You can leave the device working at maximum power for 10 minutes, then brush off the remnants of the burned food.
How does an Infrared Grill Work
Infrared radiation sphere of application is in various areas of human life: remote control units, night vision devices, medicine, and astronomy. It is proved that IR is safe for humans. As of now, the multiple opportunities it provides in industry and everyday life have been increasing.
The idea of using infrared radiation technology for cooking has already become widespread. Comfortable infrared grills and various cooktops are ready to replace more energy-consuming electric models now.
A classic model of infrared grill consists of a body and a control unit. A glass-ceramic heated panel is integrated in the body. The device is very convenient in usage. The heating panel is very durable. Its material is resistant to scratches, high temperatures and pressure. Glass ceramics can withstand temperatures above 800°C (1472° F). It is not damaged after intensive exploitation. Infrared grills should be transported carefully avoiding strong blows.
Infrared rays heat glass-ceramic surface. Thanks to their even distribution, a grill cooks food efficiently and quickly. The taste of a product is preserved. Moreover, less energy or fuel is used than in usual grill.
Infrared grills maintenance is easy. After cooking meals is over, you may apply the maximum power of the heat. Remaining pieces of food turn into ashes. Then you just clean the grate. Please inspect carefully the heating element, through the IR panel and the grid one time per 6 months. Any damaged or worn out parts must be replaced.